Sunday 4 September 2011

HAPPY FATHERS DAY


Proud Dad with Shanay and Koby

Hope you had a special day with your loved ones today. What did you do to celebrate Fathers Day today?

Damien volunteered to do overtime at work for half a day today because no one else wanted to do it. So Mr K and I went and visited my pop this morning and then my other grandfather for lunch. This afternoon we had my father & mother in law over for afternoon tea. We are very lucky to have most of our family close by. Shanay, Damien, Mr K and I then went for a family walk this afternoon.

My first challenge into our Finance Fast was deciding what to make as gifts without going to the shops. I made all the Fathers/Grandfathers chocolate truffles and slices. I've never made truffles before, so it was a bit of fun learning. I googled truffle recipes and couldn't believe how many different types you can make - orange, Turkish delight, Christmas etc. The Turkish delight ones were a bit of a disaster so I had to make them into a slice. Cooking with chocolate is so messy!



Recipe for Chocolate Truffles

Makes 20


INGREDIENTS

  • 225g good-quality dark chocolate, broken into small pieces

  • 175ml double cream

  • Icing sugar, to dust

  • Cocoa powder, sifted, to roll


  • Place chocolate in a large mixing bowl. Place cream in a saucepan and bring to the boil, then immediately pour over chocolate. Mix until chocolate has melted. (This is called a ganache.) Set aside at room temperature, covered, for 1-1 1/2 hours to cool completely and until set. Use a teaspoon to spoon out bite-sized pieces. Dust your hands with a little icing sugar to prevent them sticking and roll mixture into balls in the palm of your hands. Roll in cocoa; serve with coffee.

    I also made my Father in law a 2012 photo calendar as I love to scrapbook. Hopefully they enjoy their gifts.



    Kids are our greatest teachers in making simple thoughtful gifts for loved ones. Shanay made Damien a beautiful poem laminated with motorbike pictures on the reverse and Mr K made him a car with all colourful bits glued on it - which acts like a smelly tree for his car.



    What innovative gift ideas do you have your loved ones?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment